Monday, September 12, 2011

The Five Dollar a Day Challenge - Day 3 - The Great Blackout

Some people may say that it is crazy to carry around a dozen MREs in your trunk with you wherever you go (MRE = Meal Ready to Eat).  Perhaps it is a little bit cynical, apocolypsist, pessamistic, paranoid, or just plain silly to assume that there are going to be nuclear disasters and zombie emergencies that will require an emergency food supply.  Or.....is it?  So, when the lights go out in your town, what is the best thing to do?  Thursday, September 8th will forever be remembered as The Great Southern California Blackout, for more than just the shutdown of the electrical grid from Orange County to Tijuana.  For many, it will be remembered (or not) as the day that there was nothing better to do than get drunk!  Hey, let's face it....everybody was ready to use the "my alarm clock wasn't working" excuse to ditch work the next day.  So, like many others in my building, I headed to the pool.  My building did have emergency generators, and I have to hand it to them, they have their priorities....the jacuzzi still had power.  The party quickly turned into a devil-may-care affair as people emptied out the liquor cabinets and beer coolers.  After several hours of debauchery, it became painfully clear that there was not going to be anything to eat because my stove and microwave all requred electricity.  In addition, since there was no sense in even trying to go to the store, it was looking like I was going to have some trouble spending my $5 for the day.  I decided to expand my list of possible resources to include my trunk....where about 10 MREs have been stored, just in case.  I suppose that necessity drives people to do things that they would not normally do - and Bonnie had her first taste of military rations.  They heat up nicely with the water activated heating pouch.  She gave them a "not bad....not good, but not bad".  It's nice to know that, in case of a nuclear viral zombie outbreak, the food is not half bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment